It is time to expand the number of teams to 32 in Major League Baseball…starting in 2009-10.
- Add two teams: New Orleans and Las Vegas.
- Move Arizona to the American League, joining Las Vegas in that league.
- Both cities have minor league teams – Las Vegas would be a haven for MLB -and both need an economic boost. New Orleans has the opportunity to utilize the Superdome until either: a) a new stadium is built b) The Saints move West c) the hurricane threat is addressed correctly.
- LSU College Baseball has been the #1 attendance draw in the NCAA baseball in 2004 and 2005. This reflects the market is present for a successful baseball arena.
- Arrange the teams geographically. This develops stronger rivalries.
- Inter Division games of 24 apiece x 3 teams equals = 72 games
Same League games of 6 apiece x 12 teams equals = 72 games
Intra- league play of 3 games x 4 teams equals – 12 games
Intra- league play of 6 games x 1 team (same city or geographical rival) = 6 games.
- Playoff format:
5 teams (4 division winners and 1 wild card – with the highest record of 2nd place teams)
Lowest 2 teams (#4 seed and Wild Card) play best of 3 game series.
Divisional round: #1 seed versus wildcard winner in best 5 games. #2 -#3 seed play best of 5 games.
Winners play best of 7 for League Championship.
7 game World Series – no homefield decided by the ALL Star game. Best Record holds home field.
- Due to the rescheduling, series can be longer, and cut down on extra travel. For example, playing 24 games against your rivals means that 4 game series are the norm. Instead of 8 three games sets, now you need only 6-four game tilts. Two less series, less travel. Environmentally friendly…
- In the league match ups, rotate the home/away from year to year. Six game sets – one week including the off day. This ideally allows for makeup dates, doubleheaders and the rainout date at the end of the trip. This cuts travel by 50%.
Arranging this sort of schedule is easier, cuts out 2-game sets that are wasteful. Also the realignment (not show, but exists in my head) is ideally suited to maximize competitive balance and rivalries.